Michael Ciminiello, MD
Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
The Krauss Center for Joint Replacement Surgery
64 Commerce Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901
To schedule an appointment, call: 631-369-5000
Monday – Friday
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Complex Revision Reconstruction
A board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Ciminiello specializes in Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction including primary total hip and knee replacement as well as complex total hip and knee revision. He is an attending physician at Peconic Bay Medical Center.
In treating patients with arthritic and other degenerative conditions of the hip and knee, the focus of Dr. Ciminiello's joint replacement practice is to provide effective treatment to relieve pain and restore freedom of motion when nonoperative therapies no longer provide relief.
A native Long Islander, Dr. Ciminiello received the Carl Yastrzemski Award as the most outstanding baseball player in Suffolk County in his senior year at Smithtown East High School. He attended Princeton University, where he was Captain of the baseball team, and then was drafted by the Detroit Tigers as a catcher and first baseman.
When his professional baseball career was over, he earned his medical degree in Philadelphia at Jefferson Medical College. He completed his Residency and Fellowship at Philadelphia's renowned Rothman Institute for Orthopedic Surgery.
- Undergraduate: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Medical: Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- Surgical Internship: New York-Presbyterian Medical Center, Cornell, New York, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Research Fellowship: Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Clinical Fellowship in Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction: Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Resident Research Award: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 2009
- Recipient of Mark Chilton Award for Compassion in Medicine, 2007
- Recipient of the Beach Memorial Scholarship, 2002
- Recipient of Philip P. Ripepi Prize for General Surgery, 2002
- Recipient of the Humanism in Medicine Award, 2002
- AOA (Alpha Omega Alpa Honor Society), 2001
- Drafted by the Detroit Tigers, 1996
- All Ivy Academic Honors, 1994-1996
- Captain of Princeton University Baseball Team, 1994-1996
The Role of Traditional Hip Precautions in Preventing Early Postoperative Total Hip Arthroplasty Dislocations: A Prospective Study. E. Louis Peak MD; Javad Parvizi MD, FRCS; Michael Ciminiello MD; James J. Purtill MD; Peter F. Sharkey MD; William J. Hozack MD; Richard H. Rothman MD, Ph.D. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., Feb 2005; 87: 247 - 253.
Total hip arthroplasty is small incision better? Michael Ciminiello MD, Javad Parvizi MD, Peter F Sharkey MD , Aidin Eslampour MD, Richard H Rothman MD, PHD J Arthroplasty. 2006 Jun ;21:484-8
- Peconic Bay Medical Center